Wanted: international students to work in Canada

January 11, 2021

By HR Reporter |

The federal government has announced it will allow former international students who hold or held a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) to apply for an open work permit in Canada.

Under the new rule, foreign nationals in Canada affected by the pandemic with an expired or expiring PGWP can apply for a permit that will be valid for 18 months. This will allow former international students to remain in Canada, continue to seek employment and build their future in this country.

“This new policy means that young students from abroad who have studied here can stay and find work, while ensuring that Canada meets the urgent needs of our economy for today and tomorrow,” says Marco Mendicino, minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship. “Our message to international students and graduates is simple: We don’t just want you to study here, we want you to stay here.”

Read more