Sweden is the Best Country to be an Immigrant, followed by No. 2 Canada and No. 3 Switzerland
July 14, 2017
By US News |
Sweden is the Best Country to be an Immigrant, according to new analysis from U.S. News & World Report. Canada, Switzerland, Australia and Germany round out the top five. Part of the Best Countries report, the new ranking assesses the international perceptions of 80 countries, their immigration policies and economic data.
“The 2017 Best Countries rankings revealed that more than 40 percent of respondents view immigration as the most important issue for our world to solve,” said Eric Gertler, co-chairman of U.S. News and the New York Daily News, who was recently honored by the Carnegie Corporation of New York as a 2017 Great Immigrant. “With the recent spotlight on immigration in the U.S. and abroad, we wanted to dive into its potential benefits and challenges on a country’s perceived economic status in the world.”
Key findings follow:
- Nordic nations – Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark – take four of the top 10 spots due in large part to favorable global perceptions of their economies and commitment to income equality.
- Four of the top five countries – Canada, Switzerland, Australia and Germany – are viewed as having the most stable economies and provide a number of integration measures for immigrants such as language training and transfer of job certification.
- While the U.S. hosts the most migrants in the world and serves as the source of the largest remittances, the country ranks at No. 7 due in part to a lower score for income equality.
- The U.K. ranks at No. 17 despite its strong economy. The nation is one of six countries ranked – along with No. 33 Saudi Arabia and No. 74 Myanmar – that has immigration policies geared toward the interest of nationals.
- Countries in the Middle East, including No. 15 United Arab Emirates and No. 23 Qatar, have a high proportion of migrants compared to their total population. However, these nations fail to provide migrants with tools for integration, contributing to their lower ranks.
Top 10 Best Countries to Be an Immigrant
7. United States