BC Healthy Kids Program
Agency: Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation
The BC Healthy Kids Program helps low income families with the costs of basic dental care and prescription eyewear for their children. The program covers:
- Dental – children are eligible for $1400 of basic dental services every two years; coverage includes exams, x-rays, fillings, cleanings and extractions. The dentist can advise the patient of other services that may be covered. Emergency dental treatment is also available if the child’s biennial limit has been reached. Emergency treatment is only available for the immediate relief of pain.
- Optical – children are eligible for prescriptions eyeglasses (lenses and basic frames) once per twelve month period.
- the BC Healthy Kids Programs does not cover orthodontic treatment and / or contact lenses
Client Profile / Eligibility Criteria
Eligible clients include dependent children under 19 years of age who receive Medical Services Plan (MSP) premium assistance through the Ministry of Health.
- to use services under the BC Healthy Kids Program individual will need to show the child’s BC Care Card to the dental office or optical supplier
- the dental office or optical supplier will confirm coverage with the program contractor before each appointment
Start Dates / Duration
Phone: 1 (866) 866-0800