Refugees displaced by Coquitlam fire still without permanent homes
August 18, 2016
By Tara Carman, Vancouver Sun |
Ten Syrian refugee families who were displaced late last month by a fire in the Coquitlam apartment complex where they were staying are still without a permanent place to live.
They are living at the Immigrant Services Society of B.C.’s Welcome House in downtown Vancouver while staff search for alternate accommodation, said spokesman Chris Stephenson.
“There has been some very positive movement in securing permanent housing for all the folks,” he said, adding that he hoped to have more details soon.
Immigrant Services Society is looking for 10 two-bedroom units in the Tri-Cities area for immediate occupation.
Concert Properties, which owns the Cottonwood Avenue apartment complex where the fire occurred, is relocating four other families whose units were destroyed by the fire to other suites in the same complex, according to the City of Coquitlam. Families have been allowed to return to the two other affected apartment blocks.
The fire, which occurred July 28, was caused by a plumber doing repair work in one of the suites.