Benefits of Multiculturalism
Immigrants are a source of diverse knowledge and experience. They can increase innovation, creativity and prosperity in our city. New residents also enrich the cultural fabric of Burnaby by introducing new foods, music, traditions, beliefs and interests.
Innovation and Creativity
- At least 35 per cent of Canada Research Chairs are foreign-born, even though immigrants make up only 20 per cent of the Canadian population.
- Immigrants to Canada win proportionally more prestigious literary and performing arts awards.
- Foreign direct investment into Canada is greater from countries that are well represented in Canada through immigration.
- Immigration rates improve trade between Canada and immigrants’ countries of origin.
- Why Immigration is Critical to Canada’s Prosperity: Report
Community Flavour and Flair
- Ethnic restaurants, grocery stores and clothing stores add flavour and colour to communities, attracting new residents and tourists, and adding to the vitality of the community.
- As more immigrants become settled, communities benefit from new cultural celebrations and more diverse cultural foods, music and arts at local festivals.
- Schools develop cross-cultural curriculum, which broadens all children’s understanding of the world and their neighbours.
- Communities can earn a reputation as fun, festive and welcoming when their immigrant population is visibly celebrated and accepted.
- Immigrants are more likely than Canadian-born citizens to take an interest in local politics. They are a strong volunteer base and tend to have high voter turnout rates.
Business Development and Economic Growth
- Skilled immigrants are a key source of information for Canadian companies in the new global economy.
- Immigrants can open doors to investment opportunities overseas and help attract foreign investment in Canada.
- Newcomers bring new education and work experience and an understanding of a global business context.
- Future of Work – Confronting B.C.’s Labour Shortage Challenge (see page 7)
The Benefits of Hiring Immigrants
- Immigrants can help your business tap into new local and international markets, and expand your customer base through improved cultural awareness and communications.
- Enhance creativity, productivity, and decision-making through diverse approaches.
- Attract and retain top talent in an environment of labour shortages.
- Achieve a competitive edge by engaging more effectively with diverse customers, clients, suppliers and partner companies internationally.
- Enhance your corporate image among international customers.
- Reduce training costs by sourcing international skills and experience from the local immigrant community.
- Why Hire Immigrants: Report
- Effective Practices for Attracting, Integrating and Retaining Immigrants in Canadian Work Places: Report